CE #5.2

Short Answer

  1. 300,000 to 400,000 people are expected in town for SXSW.
  2. According to AAS, things to watch for in the primaries are who gets to take on Gov. Greg Abbott, if it will be Rep. Dawnna Dukes' last election, and if the bush name has gone from boon to bane.
  3. Millennials are using credit cards less than older generations to avoid debt. They fear debt because of the higher student loans they've dealt with.
  4. "The Shape of Water" won best picture at the 90th Academy Awards.
  5. "Sans" is a new bar that doesn't serve any alcohol, has free food and drinks, provides guests with live music, and focuses on health and fitness. 
Long Answer


  1. Guns should be controlled more strictly in order to keep people safe. Certain restrictions such as more thourough background checks or consequences for misuse should be put in place to ensure people are safe and to lower the likelihood of something like the tragic Florida shooting from happening. Though there is no way to truly prevent this from happening, putting extra precaution into gun rights will help prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands.
  2. I think the response would be very similar to how it has been in Florida. The news would be all over the media, protests would occur around the country, and people in the area would be shocked. If something as bad as the Florida shooting were to happen again, I think people would insist the government makes a change even more than they are right now.
  3. Assault rifles like the AR-15 should be owned by very few people. Only people with a completely normal background, correct qualifications/requirements, and good intentions should be allowed to get possession of any assault rifles. If there is no way to make sure the guns are in good hands, they should be banned to avoid putting others at risk.
  4. I've talked with both my family and friends about this, and I learned that the shooting could've been avoided if only a few things were different. The laws in place should've been enough to make sure the shooter didn't have access to  gun, especially since he'd had a violent past and several reports on his activity. I've also had conversations about the protests that schools have been having around the country, especially because the middle school I went to had one, and my brother was in it.
  5. In order to change something I was passionate about, I would find a group that has the same views as me, make sure other people knew and understood our values and purpose, and give others reasons/proof that something needs to be done. I'd never give up and would persevere through any obstacles that came our way. I normally choose to keep my opinions to myself, but if I decided to go public with them and attempt to make a change, this is where I would start. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dispatch Issue #5

Free Write - Embarrassment