Car Raid

On her seventeenth birthday, Mackenzie Gunzelmann was given a Land Rover Discovery as her first car. She lived in Colorado at the time, and this car blew all of her safety, versatile, technology, and stylish standards she had out of the water.

Gunzelmann's father was in in the army up until this year, which resulted in their family having to move around a lot. She has lived in Colorado, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and two cities of Texas, all of which she has souvenirs from in her car.

"When I was younger, I hated how my dad was in the military because we had to move so much. On the bright side, it helped me discover my love for travel and see new places," Gunzelmann said.

Gunzelmann keeps one of her father's old military jackets in the back of her car.

"Whenever I would miss him, I would put on his jacket and imagine he was with me, so the jacket provides me with a sense of safety and comfort," Gunzelmann said. "Plus, it is extremely warm and useful for whenever I get cold out of the house."

Gunzelmann frequently drives to coffee shops in her area during her free time to relax, especially with her family and friends. Inside her car, the smell of coffee is strong.

"I met Phobe, who is now one of my best friends, in Colorado several years ago," Gunzelmann said. "Some of my best memories with her were in this car when we'd drive to random coffee shops and take drives together late at night. I still continue this tradition with my family and friends."

Phobe was the inspiration for Gunzelmann's first tattoo. On her birthday, Phobe gave her a keychain that reads "I am free like the wind" and is currently is hanging from Gunzelmann's car mirror.

"I'd always wanted a tattoo, but I didn't know what I wanted it to be until I got to the shop," Gunzelmann said. "The quote on the keychain kept running through my head, and I love the message behind it, so I decided to just go for it."

Gunzelmann's second tattoo was a black and white rose that she recently got filled in with maroon. Inside her car, Gunzelmann has a maroon backpack, air freshener, and pair of sunglasses.

"Next year I will be attending Texas State University," Gunzelmann said. "Since I got in, I've been obsessed with everything maroon."

Gunzelmann is looking forward to college, despite the fact that it will be very different from her high school and home schooling experience.

"I'm really excited for college, but I'm also nervous to take such a big step in life," Gunzelmann said. "I think the hardest part will be having less time to spend with my family, even if I still live close to them."


Taken last year when I visited Gunzelmann, we went hiking in Colorado Springs. This photo captures her love for her car, adventure, and travel.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dispatch Issue #5

Free Write - Embarrassment