Welcome Back - Photos

PICTURES
I chose this picture because I think it really draws attention to the fact that our climate is changing for the worse. This is a starving, struggling polar bear pictured on Somerset Island, in the Canadian Arctic. All around him there is no snow or ice, which is not the natural habitat of polar bears. Animals of all types around the world are suffering jut as much this polar bear because of the negative impacts humans have had on the environment. Seeing this made me realize that our society does need to make a change with how we treat the planet.

This picture was taken at a International Champions Cup soccer match between Real Madrid and Manchester City in Los Angeles. I chose it because it is amazing how the photographer was able to capture the individual flashlights in the crowd and focus on one main light. I also like it because it shows how sports, especially those that are international, can bring people of different backgrounds together and interested in one thing.

These are children waiting to be aided after surviving an airstrike in Jobar, Syria. Their country has been involved in a civil war since 2011, and this photo shows how terrorism and violence affects people of all ages.


SONG
Shape of Your - Ed Sheeran
This was my choice for best song of 2017 because it has been popular since its release, and I hear is over and over on the radio all the time. It is a really fun song to sing and dance to when hanging out with friends or family. The song has a happy, upbeat feel to it and is accompanied by other really good songs in the rest of the album.


MOVIE
Hidden Figures
When I watched this movie, I thought it was really good from start to finish. It is an empowering story that shows viewers what life was like as a black woman trying to manage a job, especially one with so much impact. I thought it was very interesting and did a good job of bringing the situations and feelings of each lady to life. 


NEWS STORY
Trump's Travel Ban
Watching this on the news, I was shocked people of any race would be banned from coming into the US. It was a huge decision on Trump's part, which I do not support at all. It led to protests around the country and was appalling to many Americans. Trump showed the country how his beliefs were very different than many of US citizens', as well as how much his presidency would be different than Obama's.

PERSON
President Donald Trump
Though I do not look up to him as a president or politically agree with him, I think Trump was the most important person of 2017. His actions, good or bad, affect the whole country. Several decisions he's made have resulted in violence, controversy, or protests. He is constantly on the news, on peoples' minds, and affecting peoples' lives not only in the US, but people from outside the country as well.  

SPORTS
Kneeling During National Anthem 
The biggest sports story I can think of from 2017 was how NFL players began kneeling during the national anthem before their games. It sparked controversy from the players, coaches, audience, and even the president. It began showing peoples' values and moral views over things happening all around the country. Though I do not have a strong opinion on wether it was right are wrong, it definitely had an impact of the NFL and brought a political aspect into  the game of football.

MY HOLIDAY 
One thing I did over the holiday was surprise my friend with a trip for their Christmas gift. I am taking them to Chicago, so I surprised them by printing out pollard pictures of the city and a mock plane ticket. We are going during spring break, so I'm really excited.

My resolutions for 2018 are to try and eat healthier, be more caring towards others, read more, find some volunteer work I enjoy, and to be optimistic as much as I can.

In 2018 I am looking forward to playing high school soccer and doing/trying exciting new things with my friends and family.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dispatch Issue #5

Free Write - Embarrassment