Student of the Month Story

Freshman Katie Martinez has recently received the Student of the Month award from the Bowie High School administration for her class. While only a month into school, she's already being recognized as a wonderful student.


"The winner of Student of the Month must be respectful, have amazing grades, and show they're giving full effort at all times," world geography teacher Rachel Cole said. "I've seen Kate exhibit all these requirements on a daily basis."


Martinez maintained straight A's all through middle school and currently has a 4.3 GPA.


"It's been challenging for me because I've had to sacrifice a lot of my time to make sure I always make school my top priority," Martinez said. "The late nights and long hours of studying can be tough, especially when I have additional extra curricular activities."


Martinez values dedication, hard work, perseverance, and teamwork.


"I admire intelligence, dedication, determination, and perseverance," Martinez said. "I try to possess these traits as much as possible,"


Although she does very well in school, it is not at all an easy task for Martinez.


"Katie is one of the best students I've ever had, but there has still been topics she's struggled with," Cole said. "When having a difficult time, she never stops working until she's figured it out."


Not only is Martinez a good student, but she is reportedly extremely kind and respectful.


"She is a great person who is incredibly kind," best friend Stacy Walk said. She is very kind to everyone she meets, and I've never seen her be rude towards another person in any way."


Outside of getting good grades and behaving well, Martinez is very involved in her community and school organizations.


"I've always admired how Katie takes part in so much at our school," Walk said. "She is in NHS, in the yearbook staff, in choir, and aiming to be part of the Bowie Buddy program.


Martinez believes the Student of the Month ritual is helpful because it gives students a goal to work towards. Additionally, winning the award gave her self confidence a boost and taught her that hard work pays off.


"Winning the award boosted my self confidence greatly," Martinez said. "This award is beneficial to students because it gives us motivation to push ourselves to reach our full potential."


Still in shock of receiving Student of the Month, Martinez intends to keep her grades high and try to earn Student of the Month again. She will always treasure her time as Student of the Month.

"I will still be keeping my standards high and try to win the title again," Martinez said. "Winning this award made me feel like a queen."

Comments

  1. Strong first story. Nice work. Again a few minor things to finish but you adhered to inverted pyramid and your structure with quote-transition was excellent. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dispatch Issue #5

Free Write - Embarrassment