Current Events Quiz #1

Short Response Questions
  1. Neva Gonzalez Ramos
  2. USS John S. McCain
  3. Carbon monoxide poisening 
  4. 50 million in US, millions more worldwide
  5. Bean to Bar: Make Your Own Chocolate is the event I'd like to attend because it sounds fun and would be a cool experience to learn how to make your own chocolate from scratch. 
Long Response Questions: "Charlottesville covers statues of Lee, Jackson for mourning"

  1. After recent fatal attacks and rallies in Charlottesville, Virginia, authorities began covering up statues of Confederate war heroes with black tarps. While many people believe doing this is benefitting the society and correctly mourning the deaths of their fellow citizens, others think it is unacceptable and not honoring the US's history.
  2. I think it's good the statues were shrouded because it symbolizes that we shouldn't let the same things that have happened in America's history happen again. It shows the awful behavior and events that occurred during the white nationalist rally should not be seen as acceptable. 
  3. I think UT made a bad decision by taking down all the Confederate Civil War hero statues. Although some may see it as a way to honor the recent tragic events, it also appears they are ignoring our past. The leaders had different beliefs than many people do now,but they were still a key part of our past.
  4. I do not find it important if these statues are visible to the public or not.  They do not impact me or my life in any way, but if covering them up is a temporary, or long term, way of honoring the death's of innocent people and reducing violence, I think it is a good idea.
  5. I have not participated in any conversations revolving around these statues, but I have seen it mentioned in the news. From what I heard, the removed and shrouded statues have caused a lot of controversy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dispatch Issue #5

Free Write - Embarrassment